Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Back at It

I’m at it again, folks.  I’m on a health kick.  I’m determined to eat healthy and stop feeling guilty about my diet.  I’m on one 24/7 and there’s not a day when I’m not trying to eat well (okay, maybe one or two every now and then if I’m honest).   I still feel like screaming from the roof tops that while I may looks as if I do, I don’t eat four double whoppers , two large fries, and three milkshakes for every meal.  I actually eat fairly well, but my body fights everything I do to hold on to the weight I want to lose.  I need a re-wiring and an extra dose of metabolism.

 While I was feeling so bad at the end of the year, I could barely manage to put one foot in front of the other much less concentrate on making healthy recipes and counting calories.  But now that I feel myself again and like I’ve re-joined the free world, I feel like I can focus more on my diet.  Here is my plan.

1.       I’ve downloaded the My Fitness Pal app.  I’ve used it multiple one or two times but I never stuck with it.  Until now, I also had never connected with friends for accountability.  It's similar to facebook in that you send "friend" requests and once approved, you have access to others' information.  They can view my daily food diary and see what I’ve eaten every second of the day.  That’s HUGE for me!  And don’t worry, your weight is kept secret or this girl definitely would not be joining.   You can leave encouraging notes for each other and comment on food entries as much as you'd like.  In addition to the accountability,  the app also gives me a target daily caloric intake based on my goal weight and the number of pounds I’d like to lose weekly.  My goal is 1470 calories a day.  That may sound like a lot, but it’s not.  (Yesterday I had over 200 I didn’t use!)  If you’d like to be My Fitness Pal “friend,” leave me your email address in the comment section and I will send you an invitation email.  I really think you’ll love it. 
 
2.     I not only want to lose weight, but I want to incorporate more healthy foods into my diet.  I’ve started making smoothies again.  I use about two cups of fresh spinach then add frozen strawberries, blueberries, or bananas, a few cubes of ice, and a cup of water.  No, it doesn’t taste like an Orange Julius by any means, but it’s super healthy and actually doesn’t taste bad at all.  I’m going today to by milled flax seed to put in my next one.  There are many benefits from flax seed: cardiovascular health, cancer prevention, etc.  I’m also looking into additional recipes that I will be happy to share soon. 

3.       Water. The End.

4.      Slack off on the Carbs.  I love carbs.  Carbs. Carbs. Carbs.  I’m a picky eater and in my dream world, I would eat Cheesz-Its, Wheat Thins, Chips, and drink Sweet Tea for every meal every day.  That’s terrible.  I never even buy Cheez-Its because I know how tempting they are for me.  I use Stevia drops to sweeten my tea because I think it’s ridiculous to drink my calories.  I’m not saying I will never have carbs here and there, but overall I am trying to reduce my intake. 

There you have it.  I’m writing this more for myself than anyone else, but hopefully I can accumulate a few more accountability partners on My Fitness Pal.  That is helping me more than anything else right now to stay on track.  Also, I’d love to hear your low-carb or smoothie recipes.  Share if you’d like. J

4 comments:

A said...

Amy,
I just started doing smoothies last week. I'm not super structured with it, but I add a banana, a little calcium-rich oj, frozen fruit (mango, strawberries, blueberries), a big scoop of greek yogurt, and as much spinach as the blender can hold. It's delicious! I sprung it on my friend and didn't tell her about the spinach and she didn't notice. Win!
Keep it up-- 2013 is going to be a great year!

Haley said...

I need to do this so bad. Unfortunately I've decided that I am going to have to wait til I'm done nursing. Whoever said breastfeeding aids in weight loss was smoking some serious crack. I could probably eat an entire human after each feeding. But you are an inspiration either way! So I'm with ya in a couple months! :)

Kimberly said...

send me a request on my fitness pal. I need to get back to logging my food. I have not done it in several months. maybe you can help hold me accountable. I love that MFP adds extra calories on the days I run.

Kimberly said...

my e-mail is kmann05@comcast.net