Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Garlic Shrimp Pasta (Low Calorie option)

Well, I had high hopes for this recipe.  There's good news and bad news.  1- If you make it the low calorie way, it tastes just that..low calorie.  2.  If you make it without using low fat/fat free ingredients and especially using normal pasta, it will be amazing!  I will share the exact recipe I used, but if I make it again, I will probably compromise a few calories for a better taste. 

Garlic Shrimp Pasta
12 oz. whole grain linguine
9 oz. shrimp (I got the frozen/deveined small size from Walmart.)
8 oz fat free cream cheese
1/2 cup parmesan
5 cloves garlic
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup fat free, low sodium chicken broth




Cook linguine as directed on package.  Heat skillet.  Put in garlic (I used my garlic press so I could pretend to be all "cheffy." And yes, I made up that word.  I like it.  Don't judge.), onion, and shrimp.  Fry 1-2 minutes.


Add cream cheese and chicken broth.  Stir on low heat until cream cheese is melted and mixture is well blended.  Add parmesan cheese.  Stir.  Drain pasta and add to shrimp mixture.  Stir well and serve.



Makes 7 one cup servings.


***I was too hungry and forgot to take a picture of it plated.  Prepared as above, one serving is 257.2 calories.  THAT IS ALL!  Now, if you want a really tasty treat, forget the whole grain linguine and use normal fetticine.  Also, use normal cream cheese.  It will make a ton of difference....and a ton of calories. :)

No comments: