
So they say you have to build three houses before you know enough to finally build one that you're satisfied with. Well, even though I'm not technically building one of my own I feel like I am learning more about brick, doors and transums, windows, and cabinets than I ever knew possible.
Most of you know that my mom is living with me while she builds a house. We spent most of our spring break picking out things she'll need and checking off items on her to-do list. Did you know that you not only have to choose the kind/color brick you like but you also have to choose the color of mortar? Ridiculous - I had no idea. Here's a picture of what we're working towards. It's called the Savannah. I've been docummenting the entire building process. The pictures below are what we have so far. We're a long way from the picture above!


So it's all fun and games until you wait for three or four weeks and see no progress. The pictures you see above were taken Easter weekend. The only thing that has been done since is the plumbing (which is good) and the gravel has been poured to get ready for the concrete. That was done a couple days after Easter weekend. It looks exactly the same now. Supposedly, they got behind because of "all the rain." Call me crazy, but I can't think of too terribly many days lately when we've had rain. So, we're still waiting for the concrete slab to be poured. Once that's done, hopefully it'll go semi-fast. I'll keep you posted with pictures as the bulding progresses. Maybe soon I'll have others to post. Until then, we're just going to hurry up and wait. What a unique way for God to teach us patience!
2 comments:
I can identify with ALL OF IT! I even know that those pictures that you posted are of the "footings!" I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't been throught the entire process with my parents. I was glad to go through it though, because if I ever get to build a house, I feel like I'll have more of a clue...like about brick and MORTAR colors! Enjoy the process. It can be quite a stress, but the finished product will be so worth it!!
yeah-the house is gonna be so beautiful though! yall are so cute living together...please tell yo mama hello for me!
Post a Comment