Sunday, August 20, 2006

Just call me Paula Dean...Browning!


So, with school starting back, Mom and I come home around 4:00 dead tired and the last thing we want to do is cook. Eating out is too expensive, not to mention not very healthy. So, I had the idea to pull out the ole crockpot. Let me tell you....not only have I reconnected with my hobby of cooking, but it was been wonderful to come home and dinner already be cooked! I've been in the kitchen today chopping up some of the ingredients I will throw into Freda (what I have named the crockpot) in the morning. I've never been so excited about something in a long time! HA! I thought I'd share the recipe I'm trying tomorrow (plus a few notes of my own), in case any of you can relate to being tired at the end of a long workday and wishing you had pre-planned dinner.

Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken

1 medium onion, sliced
1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
1 medium celery stick (gross, leave that out)
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite size pieces)
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup Catalina dressing
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp. grated gingerroot (what is that??? I'm leaving it out)
1 can (8 oz.) pineapple chunks, drained, liquid reserved
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 medium green pepper, sliced
1 medium red pepper, sliced
4 1/2 cups hot, cooked minute white rice (I bought brown b/c I like it better)
**I'm adding mushrooms-howevermany (is that a word??) you want

Place onions, carrots, and celery (in which there is none for me) in slow cooker. Top with chicken.

Add combined brown sugar, dressing, soy sauce, and ginger. Cover with lid.

Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours (or high for 3 1/2 to 4 hours). During last 30 minutes of cooking time, increase to high. Stir cornstarch into reserved pineapple liquid; add to slow cooker along with the pineapple and peppers. Cook 30 minutes or until peppers are crisp-tender and sauce is thickened. Serve over rice.

5 comments:

Will and Melodie said...

Well Paula Dean, it sounds delicious! I am a huge fan of the crockpot and I definitely do not use it enough. I'll have to get back in the rhythm. Thanks for the idea!

Meredith said...

Can't wait to hear how it goes! Is this something you've had before, or is this a first time dish? Let me know how it is!! I might be trying that one myself..and wise choice to add mushrooms! Yum-O!!

Gena said...

what time can i come over? but leave the mushrooms off for me.

Jesse Faris said...

Oh my goodness, I LOVE cooking in the crockpot! There's nothing like walking in the door and smelling a dinner that you didn't even spend time cooking! Two other favorite quick dinner suggestions:

1. If you are big on the crockpot cooking, check out the Saving Dinner website: (www.savingdinner.com) It has a "Menu Mailer" which is basically a weekly email with a grocery list and recipes for each day, and there is a Crockpot version! Soooo easy, because you don't even have to THINK about what you're making or what to get.

2. My current favorite is Super Suppers: (www.supersuppers.com) You go to their store, assemble your dinners in disposable/freezable containers, and bring them home and stick em in the freezer. No prep chopping etc, no grocery buying, no clean up. Then you pull em out of the freezer, defrost them, and make a YUMMY meal in about 30 min every evening! Yeaaaa!

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

oooohhh thanks for the recipe. i love crock pots. makes it so easy! and i dont cook!