MIAMI -- One pitch was all Josh Willingham needed to deliver one of the most dramatic Marlins wins of the season.
Willingham blasted a first-pitch Billy Wagner fastball over the left-field wall in the ninth inning for a two-run walk-off homer that gave the Marlins a stunning 6-5 win over the Mets in front of 16,641 at Dolphin Stadium.
Pinch-hitting for Alfredo Amezaga, Willingham lined his 16th homer, giving the Marlins a thrilling win in the series opener that seemed destined to be won by the Mets.
Wagner, who has been unable to convert five of 27 save attempts, gave up a leadoff single to Miguel Olivo. Wes Helms' pinch-hit sacrifice bunt advanced Olivo, and Willingham stepped up for Amezaga.
The walk-off homer was the first by the Marlins in 186 games, the longest drought in the Major Leagues. The last time it happened, ironically, also was a win over the Mets. On May 29, 2004, Mike Lowell went deep against Braden Looper.
In 47 games, Wagner (3-2) has now yielded five home runs.
Willingham's fifth homer in five games over four days (he belted three in a split doubleheader at Philadelphia on Sunday) set off a celebration at home plate. Knowing he would be mobbed by teammates, Willingham flipped off his helmet as he rounded third base, hoping that would ease the beating he would take. It didn't.
"I just did it because I knew they were going to pound me on the head," Willingham said of flicking off his helmet. "I was hoping they wouldn't do it as much with my helmet off. It didn't seem much to matter."
3 comments:
I see we had the same post idea! I didn't look at yours until after I'd already posted mine! Just goes to show how many fans/friends he's got! See you tonight!
Go Josh! That is so awesome! Hope you enjoy the rest of your summer Amy!
ok ok,,,i feel bad now..do you forgive me?
Not a lot if going on here..we are gonna be in Rogersville this weekend for the cooper reunion..should be good fun..
And I think we are planning a little trip to see Josh play in St Louis at the end of the month...
ill do better about posting...later
Post a Comment