Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A half day out of school, two hours at the Dr.'s office, and a shot later...

Why are there so many things going around so early in the year? Stomach bugs, strep throat, sinus infections, and the dreaded flu. Isn't it supposed to be cold outside when this stuff starts? That's what I thought anyway. I've sprayed so much Lysol in my classroom it's ridiculous. I wash my hands bunches of times a day, and I use anti-bacterial even more. I just knew that I was keeping myself safe from any of the illnesses mentioned above.....WRONG.

I started coughing on Monday. I didn't feel bad at all, just said to myself Monday afternoon, "It seems like I've been coughing a ton today. I wonder what that's from." Tuesday I woke up clogged up completely, to put it lightly and not-so-disgustingly (is that a word??). I took my temperature no less than ten times and never had any. I got up this morning and same thing- tons of drainage and coughing, but I actually felt better. I took some Tylenol cold. WRONG DECISION. I never thought it would affect me like it did. I felt like I had been drugged. I felt like I could barely pick my feet up off the floor I was so sleepy. My kids went to gym and I came back to my classroom, turned the lights off, set my timer, and took a nap. I have NEVER done that before. So when I started feeling worse, I decided to leave school and come home to just rest. I decided to take my temperature, just to make sure. I just knew I didn't have any, but to be on the safe side. It didn't work the first few times for some reason. I started shaking the thing and realized there was water inside it (digital one), so I shook the water out and proceeded to try again. When I did it worked. And, it said my temperature was 101. I was totally shocked. I hadn't chosen to go to the doctor because my co-pay is a stinkin $50! But when I saw that number, I took off. I really didn't think anything was wrong other than a cold or allergies, but I couldn't take that risk with the flu going around.

I get to the doctor at just the time he was going to lunch...of course. I waited and finally was called back. She took my temperature and guess what??? 98.9. WHAT? I would never have come to the doctor and paid $50 if I had not thought it was 101!!!!!!!! Regardless, I was there and they went ahead and did the lovely swipe of the nose, which was not any sort of fun by the way, and checked for the flu. Thankfully, it was negative. I have an upper respiratory infection. One shot and two prescriptions later, I was on my way.

The point of this post? I have absolutely no idea. But I'm home from school laying on the couch and bored, so decided to share. I guess the good thing is that since I do have an infection, I'm glad I went to the doctor early and went ahead and got medicine. He says I'm contageous and to play it by ear as far as school goes tomorrow. He said if I feel okay, go. If not and I have fever, stay home and protect the kids. Here's to hoping I'm better. It's much easier for a teacher to be at work than not. Sub plans are for the birds!

2 comments:

The Penter Family said...

Your copay is really high. I hate going to the doctor for that exact same reason. Babies have to go every three months, so it got expensive... I'm glad that is over!!!
We are getting flu shots this year at walgreens, because they are only $25 there. Otherwise we would have to go to the doctor and pay a $40 copay for the exact same shot!

Ashley said...

Hope you feel better soon! I agree...sub plans are for the birds! I hate missing school because I hate planning for a sub. Get well soon!