Wednesday, April 26, 2006

This is a long one.....

Do you ever have days when you can't get a song out of your head? Days when you walk around humming or singing it all day long without even realizing it? I do that ALL the time. Today, it just so happens that the song stuck in my head was a new one we're learning at church. It's probably one of the most amazing songs I've ever heard in my life. It's not just the melody, which is absolutely beautiful, but the lyrics are unbelievable. It's called "You Were There." It's one of those songs you hear once and will never forget. I sat in the floor of my bedroom the other day listening to it, imaginging the stories it speaks of, and weeping at it's truth and the power of it's words.

"You Were There"

I wonder how it must have felt when David stood to face Goliath on a hill.
I imagine that he shook with all his might until you took his hand, and held
on tight.

'Cause you were there, you were there in the midst of danger's snare.
You were there, you were there, always.
You were there when the hardest fight seemed so out of reach. Oh you were there,
You were always there, you were always there.

So there he stood upon that hill.
Abraham with knife in hand was poised to kill,
but God in all his sovereignty had bigger plans and just in time he brought a lamb.

'Cause you were there, you were there in the midst of danger's snare.
You were there you were there always.
You were there when obedience seemed to not make sense,
Oh, you were there, you were always there,
You were always there.

So haven't I learned that my ways aren't as high as yours are,
'Cause you alone keep the universe from crumbling into dust.
You re God and though we would not understand you, there you were.
Hanging blameless on a cross, you would rather die than leave us in the dark.
Every moment, every planned coincidence just all makes sense, with your last breath.

You were there, you were there during history's darkest hour.
You were there you were there always.
You were the victor and the king, you were the pow'r in David's sling,
You are the call of Abraham, you are the God who understands,
You are the strength when we're not strong, You are the living Holy word,
You were, you are and you will always be the Lamb of God!

So I ask myself, why did that song keep playing over and over in my head? Does God use things such as music to remind me of His promises, of His love and faithfulness to me? Absolutely! I repeat myself when I'm teaching to stress the importance of my words. Musicians repeat themselves when writing song lyrics to relay a message, as in the song above. I want to believe that God sang this song to me today, over and over and over again because He wanted to stress something to me. This song reminds me of how perfect our God is- His plans, His love, His mercy. It reminds me to trust Him, when I think I can do something on my own. And most of all, it reminds me to just praise Him! He is amazing, isn't He???

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Amen sister! I am so glad that we have tackled this song...I think that is one thing that makes what we do as a praise team, our MINISTRY, I'll call it, so important. If we weren't there to present these songs to the church, some of our number would never hear them. I know from the comments that I heard tonight that this song affected MANY people the same way it affects you and me!