Thursday, January 07, 2016

Our First Day

“She’s precious.”  That’s the description I got on the phone of the little girl that needed a placement.  This all happened so suddenly.  Just hours before, I was working through finding out the process with E was going to be long, as well as coming to grips with the probability that God more than likely had another plan for me.  I had mixed feelings.  I knew deep down I needed to move forward, but at the same time, I felt like I was letting E down in allowing another child to be placed with me.  There were so many things running around in my head as I heard the social worker say, “She just turned four years old.  She has blonde hair and blue eyes.  She doesn’t have any behavioral or medical issues.  I think she would be a perfect fit for you.”   I didn’t have many other details.  I wasn’t sure what brought her to me other than drugs, and I wasn’t sure how long I would have her.  Even so, after hearing all these things, it just all of a sudden seemed clear.  I knew this was the next step in my fostering process.  I said yes.  And a few short hours later, she arrived at my doorstep.

To say I was nervous was an understatement.  I had been preparing for this moment for months, but the knowledge it was finally happening was enough to make my heart feel like it was beating out of my chest.  I was pacing back and forth in the kitchen watching out the window for a car to pull in my driveway.  Finally, one did.  I watched as the car door opened and the light inside the car came on.  I could see her in the back seat, dressed in a navy and pink outfit with sparkly little black boots.  She was adorable.  She didn’t even seem scared.  She was extremely talkative.  She was laughing and asking about what toys I had.  I was absolutely dumbfounded by how well she seemed to have transitioned, even after the first few minutes.  The social worker only stayed a short time, then I was left alone with little “A.”  We went upstairs so I could show her around.  She immediately began looking through the miniscule amount of toys I had accumulated and found something to play with.  We sang songs, fingerpainted, and pretty much did whatever she asked to do.  I finally got her to sleep, then went to bed in awe.  How many months had I spent taking classes, completing paperwork, painting a bedroom, decorating it….all for this.  It was finally happening!  I don’t know how long it took me to fall asleep.  I was nervous about the next day and what I would find out in court.  But all I knew at that moment was how happy I was that I said, “YES!”

*Follow-up with E: Less than two weeks after I took A, my friend that was fostering E told me she was pregnant.  Because of the stress she was under with E’s behavior and family situation, as well as a medical condition, she was requesting that E be placed with another family.  At that time, I didn’t even have a choice.  There was no way I could parent two foster children alone…not right now, anyway.  I was sad.  But mostly, I was relieved.  I thought back to when my wise friend told me to seek peace and God would make it abundantly clear what I should do.  My, how she was right. 

 I felt like God unfolded my story just as HE wanted it.  It definitely wasn’t my plan a month before, but He changed things.  I’m so glad He did.

No comments: