Thursday, January 14, 2016

I'm a PARENT!

The day after A came to live with me, we had a hearing in which the judge would decide if it was necessary for her to have been removed from the home.  Depending on the verdict, she would either stay with me or go to a relative placement.  I was super nervous.  It’s a strange feeling walking into a courthouse with someone else’s child, knowing they are about to fight for her and petition the court for her back.  I didn’t know what they looked like or who they were, yet I was taking care of what was sure to be most precious to them.  A lady led me straight to a door, and when I walked in I was at the front of the actual courtroom.  I assumed I wouldn’t be a part of the actual hearing, but was needed to bring A in case she was returned to her family.  That definitely wasn’t the case.  A social worker took her to a room to play while the court proceedings got underway.  The attorney told me I was on the list of those allowed to be inside the room as the hearings took place.  I watched as the sheriff walked in, we stood as the judge walked in with her black robe, and I was as nervous as I would have been had I been bungee jumping off the Empire State Building.  I listened as both parties went back and forth pleading their case to the judge.  Thankfully, she agreed that it was in A’s best interest to stay in custody of DHR and return home with me.  I was told she would be with me for 4-6 weeks.

Once court was dismissed, they whisked us away through a staircase at the back of the building to avoid seeing any family members as we were exiting.  I was told I needed to take A to DHR immediately and meet the social worker, as well as some members of her family and their attorney to devise a plan for the coming weeks.  This is called an ISP meeting.  I met A’s mom.  She’s really nice, and I can tell that she loves her dearly.  She asked if she could hug me, which made us both emotional.  She thanked me for taking care of her daughter and told me how much she loved her.  She gave me numerous reasons she was a fit parent and told me she was going to do whatever she had to in order to get well and bring A home.  I told her I wasn’t there to judge her and promised I would love her child until she was well enough to do it again herself.   We discussed goals for her and what was expected of her in order to regain custody, and we planned times for weekly family visitation.  I expected a social worker to walk us out and accompany me as A said goodbye to her family.  That was an awkward situation to witness for sure.  What made it even more awkward was that when we walked out of the building, A chose to hold me hand instead of her mom’s.  I could tell her mom was visibly upset, then she put her hand on my shoulder and said, “now don’t let her get attached to you.”  How was I to respond to that?  I don’t even remember what I said.  She hugged her family and got in my car just as if she were going to see them again in an hour.  I just couldn’t believe how well she was handling such a terrible and sad situation. 


We went to lunch after the meeting.  It was surreal looking at such a precious little girl, knowing I was her foster mom.  I was a PARENT!  Biological or not, I was her sole provider, her comforter, her nurturer, her everything for the next undisclosed amount of time.  I’m telling you- I don’t think I’d ever felt more fulfilled in my life.

No comments: