Doesn't this look like scenes from an episode of CSI or some action thriller starring Tom Cruise and Samuel L. Jackson? Yeah, it looks like that, doesn't it? Well, if you had been at my house between the hours of 5:30-8:00 last night, this is what you would have seen. I apologize to any of my friends reading that may not know about this fiasco yet. It's just simply too long of a story to tell to everyone in person. So, sit back and enjoy. I have finally gotten to the point where I can consider laughing about it.
I got home yesterday around 5:00 and checked my mailbox. I was excited to see another Christmas card from some great friends....They will go un-named as of now. (Hahaha!) I opened up the card and almost immidiately noticed that there was some sort of a mark or stain on the bottom. As I tried to rub it off, I noticed that it came off in the from of a powder. A WHITE POWDER. I'm trying to come up with logical explanations in my head as I walk back into the kitchen to check out the envelope. When I looked closely, I saw a slit in the bottom of the envelope but no powder. What in the world do I do? I tried to tell myself it was nothing, and I truly didn't believe it was. But, I always err on the side of caution, so at the urging of some friends I decided to call the police department just to make sure. I was expecting to talk to the dispatcher, be told it was nothing, and go on about my night. Boy, was I wrong. I was told that she could send a policeman to check it out if I'd like. When I asked what he could do about it, she assured me he would come with a test kit that would relieve my fears. How could I deny that? She also assured me he would come without storming into the neighborhood with sirens and lights. I was afraid of causing a scene. Little did I know.....
About fifteen minutes later, the first (get that hint, first??) policeman showed up. He had no idea what to do or say, so he called his supervisor. Ding Ding Ding--number two policeman now arrives. He tells me he's almost sure it's nothing, that there are a number of scenarios that could have resulted in this envelope and powder substance, and he wouldn't worry about it. BUT JUST IN CASE, he called the fire department because they are the ones with the test kits. Ding Ding Ding- insert two police cars, two policeman, and now THREE fireman at my home. After standing outside and consulting with one of the policeman, a supervising fireman enters and proceeds to tell me I need to go outside, not to return to my house, that I should probably go get checked out due to possible CONTAMINATION, and that the hazardous materials team was on their way. Umm, excuse me, but WHAT??? Panic sets in. Tears begin to flow. I'm thinking over and over in my head what in the world had I gotten myself into.
I waited outside in the cold and rain for a couple hours. Before it was all over, two more policeman arrived, for a grand total of four police cars. We had a firetruck parked on my street, and a HUGE trailor with hazardous materials written across it parked on the opposite side of the street. There were no less than 25 men in my yard. The neighbors started coming out of the woodworks. I assured them everything was fine. One was fearful we had a hostage situation. Give me a break! Finally, three guys- in their masks and hazardous materials gear, walked inside my house. They examined the "substance" and wiped down the cabinets. They searched for any residue and tested the powder for all the "big things," like anthrax, acid, or some other form of hazardous substance. The tests were all negative. PRAISE GOD. They bagged up everything that was on my counter at the time, including two other Christmas cards I'm super sad to have lost, and threw it all away. I was told that unless I started to experience respiratory problems or feel anything out of the oridinary (how comforting), not to worry. There wasn't enough of the mysterious substance for them to test to see what it actually was. All they know is that it wasn't dangerous and I was safe.
And to think I was worried about ONE police car causing a scene. I definitely caused a scene! It wasn't fun the first hour or so when I was waiting to stop breathing or have chest pains or experience some other sort of symptom due to being contaminated by this random power on a stinkin' Christmas card of all things! I calmed down a while later...a long while later. I was too upset to take pictures, although in the midst of all the madness I was thinking of how great a blog this would make after it was all over! HA!
Thankfully, I'm back in my house. I can breathe. I am not contaminated. I have a story to tell. What is the moral of the story? I'm not exactly sure yet. I'm still trying to sum up what I feel God was trying to teach me. One, according to my mom, is to not take things so seriously. Everything in life isn't always bad and won't always have the worst ending. Relax. Two, all of the policemen and firemen were wonderful. They were super nice and encouraging. They told me that I helped train them and teach them what to do in a situation like this. Maybe God used me to help someone in the future that may not be as lucky as me. Whatever the reason is, I'm praising Him that everything is okay!
5 comments:
That is hiliarious! It made me laugh out loud!
hahaha! Glad everything went ok!
Love,
Unknown
Too funny! What a story! I'm so glad you're ok.
WOW! Little did I know that my old neighborhood would be such a hotbed for potentially hazardous postal mail :) I'm glad that everything was fine and that you have such a funny story to tell :)
OH MY WORD! Only you, Amy. Only you. This is hilarious!!!
But seriously, I'm glad you are okay. Were the policemen at least hot?
Post a Comment