Monday, November 01, 2010

The Greatest Man I've Ever Known

I'm not exactly sure why, but I've been thinking a lot about my granddaddy lately. I find myself wishing he were here to guide me through this time in my life or to offer words of encouragement like he did to everyone he ever met.  I keep seeing his face in my mind and hearing his voice.  I have no doubt that one of his hugs would make the stress of this world just disappear right about now. 

My cousins, sister, and I had the most wonderful time going to visit my grandparents.  Granddaddy worked so hard at the store.  He would always rush home from work and just as he pulled his bright blue truck into the carport, would sound the musical horn he had installed for all the grandchildren.  He played the same  tune every time he got home.  He also loved to eat!  Vegetables were his favorite.  He was such a healthy eater, and some of our favorite times were sitting around the dinner table.  All five of the grandchildren would pull a barstool around the bar and watch as he and grandmother prepared dinner.  They would serve our plates first, and granddaddy made his rounds taking food from each of our plates before he got his own.  Cornbread was a staple, and he loved his crushed up in his milk.  When he was home, he would take us for rides on the tractor, let us go around and around the house on the riding lawnmower, or let us all pile on the back of his truck for rides through the pasture.  I will never forget sitting in a circle in the living room and listening to granddaddy read the Bible and pray every night before bed.  That was his priority and he always wanted to make sure we grew up knowing the genuine love of our Lord and lived a life of thanks to Him.

He was the most amazing man I've ever known in my entire life.  He was the most affectionate, caring, selfless, and spiritual man.  He had a relationship with God that I wish I knew how to cultivate myself.  I remember going to church with him and grandmother and watching him, before every single time he led a prayer from his seat, get down between the pews on his knees.  He would lead a song on singing night and his favorite was "My Hope is Built on Nothing Less."  His truly wasn't.  He fought his good fight and he finished his race.  He most definitely kept His faith.  Although my heart aches for his presence today, he is safe in the arms of God and I could never wish for him anything different.  I just wish I could tell him now that I have learned to appreciate him so much more since his death than I ever knew to before.  I'm trying to live in a way that would make him proud and even somewhat compare to the legacy that he left me. 

I love him so much, always.

1 comment:

brooke said...

Oh my...tears.