Sunday, September 19, 2010

Keeping Myself "DE-STRESSED"

So, I was thinking today of how many times I have to remind myself that I am in control of my life.  It's not the other way around, even though I feel that way sometimes.  I feel stressed a lot and have been running around like a chicken with its head cut off too often lately.  I've created a plan for myself that I hope will help me stay calm and at peace.  It's going to be hard to stick to it, and I'm going to have to call on every ounce of discipline I even thought of having to keep this plan intact.  I really feel like if I succeed, it will leave me feeling better physically, mentally, and emotionally. 

1.  Be willing to say no.- I stay so busy every single day of the week, that it leaves me no time to keep up with my laundry, housecleaning, and just time with myself.  I plan to have at least two nights a week to do nothing but come home and have some "Amy" time.  It should be easy to find time like this, seeing as how it's just me, but I have made it difficult.  I now work at least two Saturdays a month, so my weekend is shot.  I find things to do almost every night of the week...things that are fun and I enjoy doing...but it leaves me stressed the next day because I got no work done at home.  I have to be willing to pass on some events just to maintain my sanity.

2.  Make nutrition a priority.  I'm trying to go back on the glycemic index diet, which certainly isn't any fun, but is the healthiest I've ever eaten in my life.  I have no sugar, no processed foods, bread, etc.  If I stick to this, not only will I feel better physically, but I won't have to feel guilty for eating things I shouldn't. 

3.  Don't take life too seriously.   I have got to stop thinking and overthinking every single aspect of life.  I have to stop worrying and being so fearful of so many things.  I have to make it a priority to pray and leave all this at the cross and refuse to be a slave to it.  In carrying it myself, I take away the opportunity I have to laugh and have fun and enjoy life like I should.  I want to feel light and free to experience life to its fullest and be in the moment, not consumed with thoughts about something I can't control anyway.

4.  Experience God.  Above all else, I have to find God in every day.  I know He's there and in all things.  I must spend time with Him and be in the word to know Him more and love Him more.  I have to be serious about my relationship with my God and focus on how He speaks to me.  If I can truly learn to dive into His arms and experience the solace I know I will find there, I will feel settled and joyful and like none of the above matter any longer.

Here's to a new week.  Praise God for second chances....and more.

3 comments:

THE MORROW FAMILY said...

Thanks for the insight...I needed it this week! Love you.

Katie said...

Sounds great and it sounds like something I need to do too!!! I think everyone can make a list of ways to "de-stress."

McKinney Madness said...

i think these are rules for all of us to live by!