Monday, August 03, 2009

My home away from home beginning...WEDNESDAY!

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT??? It's that time folks...time for school to begin! My first official day was today, filled with teacher meetings and more time to work in my classroom. I've actually been there for days now trying to get my classroom just the way I want it. Let's face it: teachers spend more time in their classrooms during a typical day than they do at home or anywhere else. It has been my priority this year to get extremely organized and clean. If this place is going to be my home away from home, it definitely has to meet certain criteria. It needs to be colorful, bright, organized, clean, and that refrigerator better be stocked with some Diet Mountain Dew to get me through the really tough days! :)

I try to always stay organized, but this year there were a few things I had to change. All of my supplies were stuffed into this extremely unstable wire stack shelf. Things had already fallen off the top of it, on top of ME. If you touched it just the right way, it would wabble. Plus, it took up lots of space. So, I threw it out and replaced it with a small bookshelf that's hidden in a corner. Now, I have much more space and it's hidden, which is the best part. I also had tons of pieces of construction paper stored on top of a cabinet, which I attempted to keep straight but it just didn't happen. I went to Wal-mart and bought lots of rubbermaid clear tubs and stored all my paper and other supplies in those. Now I have nice and neat bins on top of my cabinets instead of random things spread out in not such an orderly fashion.

Here's a pic. I think I put one on here last year but this is the new and improved classroom number 4!

Speaking of being organized, check out my round table right at the door when parents come in tonight. There's a bouquet of fresh flowers in the center, with all folders, car stickers, forms, etc, that they need. I was pretty impressed with myself!

Wish me luck, friends! I want to be a more patient teacher, one that smiles a lot and provides an environment that feels comfortable and that encourages students to do their best and be their best. I want to see them as God sees them, and not get frustrated when they aren't perfect. I want to love them as He does and be an earthly example of God's love, especially for the ones that may not see that at home. I have some big goals for myself and only God will help me be this kind of teacher, because it's going to be a challenge for sure. I'd definitely appreciate your prayers!

9 comments:

McKinney Madness said...

GOOD LUCK! Sounds like you're much further ahead of the game than me. I'm not nearly as organized as you and have fun out of space to put everything!! Looks like your "home away from home" will be pretty comfy!

Anonymous said...

Your room looks great and you are correct. It is a home away from home. I dont think people know HOW MUCH WORK it takes to get your room ready for the school year!

THE MORROW FAMILY said...

Looks great, Amy! I know you've done a lot of work. I hope you have a great school year.

Bowerman Blessed said...

Your classroom looks really good. I will be praying for you to have a super year. Love you!

brooke said...

Love you new blog layout!! Your classroom looks great and I hope you have a super, fantastic, wonderful year! Love you. Can we go back to the beach?

Etta said...

Your room looks great. I'm praying for a great year for you and your students.

Rachael Hamilton said...

Looks very nice!

Jamie Grizzle said...

I was just telling someone how I think decorating a classroom would be so much fun! You did a great job...I would have loved this room as a kid! I bet you are the "cool teacher" that everyone wants to get, aren't ya?

Katie said...

I'm so behind and a pathetic blogger as well as sad blogger-keeper-upper of my friends :(

BUT...your room looked/s really cute!!!! Miss you!!!