If I haven't made it known by now, let me take a second and tell you what a phenomenal cook my mom is! Everything she makes is delicious. The only problem is that she rarely uses a recipe. She throws in a little of this and a little of that- and it works. It always works! She hasn't made hush puppies in a really long time, but they're a signature dish in her kitchen. She made them a lot when I was growing up, and I always remember how much I enjoyed them. I don't know what makes them different than any others, but they're my favorite. The other day, I asked her to make them so I could watch and learn. We measured the ingredients, and I watched every move she made so I could attempt them later myself. It was SO much fun. I can't think of a better teacher. We both loved being in the kitchen together and agreed we needed to do it again soon. Next on the list is her meatloaf, blueberry syrup, vinaigrette dressing, hamburger steak, and orange muffins. I'm telling you, she needs to open a cafe. (That's my dream- to work and cook in a cute little cafe on the corner...learned something new about me.)
Here's the recipe!
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups corn meal
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
dash of salt
3/4 onion, diced
1 1/4 cup milk (You do have to eyeball the amount of milk to a certain extent. You don't want the mixture to be too runny. Per mom: Once you stir all ingredients together, you want the mixture to stay on the spoon without dripping. That's how you know you have the right consistency.)
Drop mixture by spoonfuls into oil and fry until golden brown.

No comments:
Post a Comment