Happy Summer to everyone! I've never questioned my choice of career, but I certainly am glad I chose education right now! Summer break is the best thing about being a teacher...and I'm thankful.
Here's the problem- I'm very allergic to cats. I can usually manage to be in a room with them and survive if I don't touch them. I was aware when I bought my house that the previous owners had a cat. Now I've learned that there's a good chance there were two here. I took every precaution I knew to take before moving in. I had the carpet (every inch of it) cleaned and we painted every single square inch of this house also...I mean baseboards, doors, and walls. I'm hoping it's just coincidence, but my allergies have been worse than ever lately. I always have a short period of time during spring when they get bad, but it usually doesn't last too long. It's just not getting any better. I tried Zyrtec and it does nothing. I've moved to Claritin and it may be a little better, but I'm still struggling. My eyes itch SO bad and they always feel like there's something in them. They look blood shot and they swell. My nose runs and I even wheeze at times. It's miserable! What do I do? I'm going tomorrow to get a new air filter. Other than that, I'm at a loss. I can't exactly move and insurance doesn't pay for allergy shots. Solution please. :)
3 comments:
Amy, this may be totally useless (and slightly depressing) info, but I watched a renovation show that showed cat urine, etc can soak down into the carpet pads (below the carpet).
For now, we'll pray that it's just a coincidence and that you'll be back and non-wheezy asap!!
I found your blog by way of someone that I keep up with. I am from the Huntsville, AL originally.
Knowing how hot it is right now, I can assume the house A/C is in full use. Can you attribute your allergy outbreak to the time you turned on the A/C. If so, of course you are doing the right thing with a filter, however with severe allergies you need to have a whole house duct cleaning. I can tell you from experience there are two types of companies, those that charge $100 and use an air compressor to clean the ducts OR the companies that charge significantly more and actually cut holes in the ductwork and bring in special equipment to clean. There is a huge difference between the two cleaning systems.
Just an idea from a random person, but hopefully a helpful one.
I hope you get relief soon.
OH NO - I have that problem to and I use Zyrtec but also flonase and the good news is it just became generic and can get it filled at Taret for $5 a month - I used to pay $62 a month - using both might help by the way you can get Members Mark Zyrtec year supply for $14 at SAMS! I agree with the reader about it is probably in your carpet pad - Maybe you can replace a room at a time or maybe a air purifier?!?????? Good luck and the pics are great - YAY for being a home owner!
Post a Comment