Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Thankful and Exhausted

Coming to you straight from the corner of Exhausted Avenue and Thankful Lane, it's me!  I am still here, but barely.  I've been attempting to settle into my new house and get everything unpacked.  I LOVE my house and am so incredibly thankful that God blessed me with it.  Having said that, it's been way more stressful than I thought, as far as getting everything done to move in.  I planned to have all the painting and cleaning completely done before I moved anything in.  Boy, was I wrong on that one.  God showed me again that my life isn't according to my plan, but His.  I've been reminding myself that everything will get done eventually and to just enjoy the journey.  There have defnitely been hurdles in this process to overcome though.

The paint was/is an absolute mess.  I went back and forth on whether to paint myself or hire it done.  I eventually chose to hire someone because I enjoy painting for the first 30 minutes, then I'm ready to scream.  I thought I'd save some frustration and not do it myself.  Again, I was way wrong......The people that painted before me put water-based paint on top of oil-based.  I didn't know anything about paint until last week, but that is trouble!  If you do this, the paint won't stick and will chip off easily.  So, the painters had to go over every single inch of the trim with oil-based paint, which is like painting with thick cheese dip.  It's so hard!  Also, it takes about 24 hours for it to dry before you can put on a second coat.  That may not seem like a big deal, but throw in the fact that all the trim was either an UGLY brown color or hunter green, and that makes for a HUGE deal!  Since the painters charge by the hour and it has taken them double the time they thought to paint, my painting budget has been exhausted.  I can't keep paying for their time, so you guessed it- I've had to paint.  I've painted stairways, baseboards, trim, closet doors, and I'm currently on coat four of the front door and it could probably stand another one.  That puts unpacking boxes on the backburner.  It's getting close though, so hopefully things will be normal soon.  I'll be very glad not to smell paint fumes every time I go home. :)

Before and after pictures are coming soon.  I can't wait for you to see the difference.  I'm super excited!!!

9 comments:

The Penter Family said...

That sounds like a nightmare! I didn't know the difference between oil and water based either! I can not wait to see the pictures!

Anonymous said...

So excited to see your pictures!

THE MORROW FAMILY said...

I know you're tired. Painting wears me out! Can't wait to see how it looks, though! :)

the Wilbecks said...

not to be debbie downer, but that's the first lesson in owning a home. every project takes at least twice as long and costs twice as much as you plan. at least. always. but it's yours!!! cant wait to see the pictures, isn't it fun in a wierd kind of way? :)

Scarlett said...

OH I cannot WAIT to see it! I would love to help you if I can. Please let me know if you're gonna be unloading boxes or painting or something like that and I'll come help you!

Julie Young said...

I can't wait to see pics!

Gena said...

Awesomeness.

Ashley said...

4 words.
navy blue
paper bag.

Katie said...

Oh my!!! What an ordeal!!! Well I'm sure you painting skills are turning your new digs into something beautiful:) And if you're painting by yourself, you can always pretend you have your own show on HGTV and talk while you paint. I think I did this once in my house...Lame-O or kind of funny??? You gotta pass the time somehow right?!?!

Can't wait to see the pictures!!!!